Sunday, October 23, 2011

What a friend, and bad experiences in the WC

I went to Vilnius for the day to celebrate H's birthday. Here are some words I scribbled down in reflecting on the past week:

Sunday, October 23
On a bus from Vilnius to Klaipeda

I feel like today was somewhat redeeming.
The past few weeks have been hard,
and there's so much going on in my heart and mind that
it's hard not to be afraid, or anxious, or emotional,
but I'm seeing how the Lord is taking care of me, and that is what matters most.
This I believe.
Though a million things are out of my control,
I know that He has control over all things (Sovereign God, Almighty),
and for that I am unable to express my gratitude.
It was a day of ups and downs.
First, D and I walked safely to the bus station at 5am in the dark -
the work of the Lord's hand (this I believe).
Then our bus tickets cost 30L instead of the expected 68L
(Thank you Lord).
WHen we got to Vilnius we couldn;t find the girls
at either station, bus or train, so we decided to grab a pastry from the local grocery store
and sit tight.
Before that, we had an awful bathroom experience -
probably the worst in my life, and probably the closest I've come
to understanding life during the USSR occupation.
When we got in line, I realized that not only was it for a stall to open,
but also to get T.P.
That's right - toilet paper.
There were no TP dispensers in any of the stalls, just one for everyone
to pull from before you entered.
Then - and here comes the awful part - a stall opened up and D hurries over.
Before entering she gives me a concerned look which I thought
might be due to a dirty or stinky stall. I nodded an "okay" to her to go in....
little did I know...
WHen the next stall opened, I proceeded to it and upon opening the door
was horrified to see a hole in the ground.
Yep...a hole, surrounded by porcelain. No toilet, no seat. A hole.
I considered just going for it,
but then my better judgement got the best of me and I decided against it.
I couldn't. I just couldn't.
I can pee in a hole in the woods, but I couldn't do it in a Lithuanian train station.
And I don't regret it one bit.
Needless to say, this was a bad start to the day, but things got better.
Later at lunch, D and I shared this Indian dish that was delicious
except for the screwdriver I found in it.
The owner came over to apologize and said we wouldn't have to pay for the meal -
another unexpected gift from the Lord (this I believe) which saved me 18L.

I had many moments of wanting to burst into tears
whenever my mind got to thinking of things in the futurem
but moments that reveal His goodness, like those "I believe" mentioned above,
remind me to
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understandign will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
How fitting.

Till next time:
What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear,
what a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer.

1 comment:

  1. My dear: I had a similarly awful past week, for what sound like similar reasons - though not physically unsafe situations... or unsanitary, so much. I cried so hard and so long the one night that I thought I was being a baby. But God is so faithful; He comforts... and He holds us... and He provides friends. It is so wonderful!! Also, I'm glad you're safe. I don't like thinking of you walking around at 5am if it's not safe. I hope hope hope we can see each other during Christmas. My grandparents are visiting and my mom thinks time will be tight, so we'll have to see. But I do soooo want to see you, and my family would love to see you too. :) We'll both be in California before we know it. Love you. xooo

    ReplyDelete