Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My kicks: The no kicks version: Krakow

1. Sunday market in the square in Kazimierz.
2. Hannah after "the fight." insert: "you should see the other guy"
3. Jewish cemetery in Kazimierz.
4. P and HB
5. Door
6. P with a bagel on her face.

Part 1 of the Krakow series. Stay tuned for a word from our sponsors. Or, just another post.



"Tea should be taken in solitude."
-C.S. Lewis-

Thursday, November 10, 2011

it's a moving picture, a picture that moves

My friend and fellow G-student, HB, has been recording moments I usually freeze with my lens.
I thought it'd be fun to show you some of my happenings "in motion"
...especially since I never posted any photos from my trips to Riga and Tallin.
Oh well...
'Till next time

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Kicks: le Hermitage

1.My shoesies in le Winter Palace - Home of the Romanovs
2.In front of the Winter Palace
3. Halls of the Hermitage*
4. Portrait of a pretty girl
5.The Palace Square

*The Hermitage houses one of the largest collections of art I've ever seen. The structure itself is a sight to behold, and extends beyond the winter palace into multiple other buildings. No wall is without art. The collection began with Catherine the Great, and here you can find anything from Egyptian art, to Russian culture and art, to Van Gogh and Rembrandt. Did I mention how large the collection is? Apparently, the Hermitage only houses 5% of the collection with the other 95% being held in storage. Legend has it, that if you were to study each painting for 10 seconds (minutes?), it would take you 9 years to get through the whole museum. It's incredible, really.

Monday, November 7, 2011

My kicks: the Red Square

1. My shoesies (duh)
2.Le Red Square view from Lenin's Mausoleum*
3.A very red building, which I don't think was very important
4.St. Basil's Cathedral
5.P,HB,HV,D jumping for joy in Maskva

*There are no photos of Lenin's Mausoleum mostly because I didn't think it was very interesting to look at, BUT it was extremely interesting to visit. The mausoleum houses Lenin's embalmed body, and is open on some days for a public viewing. If it tickles your fancy, one stands in line, goes through a metal detector, has one's backpack denied entry, is rushed through a maze and into a dark opening of the facade, continues further into a dimly lit corridor, around a corner and quickly past the body. It seems at any moment the man is going to open his eyes...His body has been around longer than he has. This was a weird experience. Interesting, and very weird.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

where my kicks have been

And I'm only just now realizing how awful my pictures are.
 Ugh, my apologies.
For now, feast your eyes upon St. Basil's and le Hermitage.